Most Active Stories
Newport Jazz Festival
Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Live In Concert: Newport Jazz 2013
Originally published on Fri June 20, 2014 10:31 am
One of the original new-school New Orleans brass bands, a Dirty Dozen show guarantees a good time. This year actually marks three dozen years since the first incarnation of the group coalesced to resurrect a then-disappearing tradition — and infuse it with both bebop and funk. As with many a show since '77, there was dancing and handkerchief-waving aplenty, and several original members were present to anchor the proceedings.
- Roger Hayward Lewis, baritone and soprano saxophone
- Kevin Harris, tenor saxophone
- Efrem Towns, trumpet/flugelhorn
- Gregory Davis, trumpet/vocals
- Kyle Roussel, organ
- Kirk Joseph, sousaphone
- O.C Davis, drums
- "Do it Fluid" (Donald Byrd cover)
- "Blackbird Special"
- "Get Up"
- Medley: "Paul Barbarin's Second Line" / "E-flat Blues" / "When the Saints Go Marching In" (Trad.)
- "Dirty Old Man"