What Makes WVAS Newsroom Different?
Montgomery, AL – Among its many awards, the WVAS news team is being recognized as having the Best Regularly Scheduled Newscast 2009 by the Alabama Associated Press Broadcasters Association. Additionally, 90.7 Perspectives is being recognized by the Alabama Broadcasters Association as Best Talk Show,2009.
The WVAS news team includes:
Melanie Hogan, Reporter
Marcus Hyles, Senior News Correspondent
Robb Taylor, Part-time Reporter and Host of 90.7 Perspectives
Tana Shealey, News Director
1. An "In-house" news team. More and more these days, commercial radio stations are using news feeds from local television stations. Although WVAS has a television partner in WAKA CBS 8 (for severe weather coverage ONLY), we maintain our independence by not losing our identity in producing our own quality newscasts.
2.Investigative reporting. The WVAS news team is committed to going beyond the headlines, taking a closer look at issues affecting the community at large.
3. Portability. The WVAS news team will often hit the road to cover stories important to the community to do "live" newscasts and/or reports to bring the story closer to home. Whether it's Selma, Birmingham or Enterprise, the WVAS news team is committed to keeping our listeners informed.
4. Experience. The WVAS news team has over 35 years of combined experience in journalism. Knowing how to get the story is just as important as telling the story. It is with this experience, we have also earned and maintained credibility with the news makers and our listeners, who expect nothing short of excellence.
5. 80,000 WATTS. The WVAS signal covers all or part of 15 counties in Central Alabama, which means our news team makes sure that important issues affecting listeners in those communities (outside of Montgomery) are reported.
6. Enterprising Reports. The WVAS news team does not rely solely on news wires or the top TV or newspaper stories. By bringing to air own stories, and not just rewriting stories from other sources, a more personal, detailed and credible product for our listeners is delivered.