Ryan Truesdell's Gil Evans Centennial Project, Live In Concert: Newport Jazz 2012
What if there were lost big-band masterpieces by the great composer/arranger Gil Evans which never made it to record? In fact, there are plenty of them, according to composer/arranger Ryan Truesdell. He's culled, researched, transcribed and completed a handful of the best for Evans' 100th birthday anniversary. It helps that he's the lead copyist for composer Maria Schneider; he's borrowed much of her orchestra to record and now perform this rich, intensely-hued material.
- "Dancing On A Great Big Rainbow"
- "How About You?"
- "Look To The Rainbow"
- "Ballad Of The Sad Young Men"
- "Sister Sadie"
- Ryan Truesdell, arranger/conductor
- Steve Wilson, alto saxophone/woodwinds
- Charles Pillow, alto saxophone/woodwinds
- Rich Perry, tenor saxophone/woodwinds
- Donny McCaslin, tenor saxophone/woodwinds
- Scott Robinson, baritone saxophone/woodwinds
- Michael Rabinowitz, bassoon
- Adam Unsworth, french horn
- David Peel, french horn
- Tony Kadleck, trumpet
- Greg Gisbert, trumpet
- Laurie Frink, trumpet
- Ryan Keberle, trombone
- Marshall Gilkes, trombone
- George Flynn, trombone
- Marcus Rojas, tuba
- Ben Monder, guitar
- Frank Kimbrough, piano
- Jay Anderson, bass
- Michael Truesdell, percussion
- Lewis Nash, drums
- Dan Weiss, tabla
- Dave Eggar, tenor violin
- Gretchen Parlato, voice