Students in the Montgomery Public School system will start a new year Thursday and the MPS Transportation Department says they are making sure everything is in order before the first routes is taken. WVAS News Reporter Brittney Jones-Dabney spoke with MPS officials regarding bus safety.
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY: If children ride a bus to school, they should plan to get to their bus stop early and stand back from the curb while waiting for the bus to arrive. Other safety steps include:
- Wait to board the bus until it has come to a complete stop and the driver or attendant has signaled to get on.
- Tell children they should only board their bus – never an alternate one.
- Always stay in clear view of the bus driver and never walk behind the bus.
- Cross the street at the corner, obey traffic signals and stay in the crosswalk.
- Never dart out into the street, or cross between parked cars.